Thursday, April 2, 2009

Finding your true voice

As artists, we are often encouraged to "find our true voice".
But have you ever stopped to think what that means, practically?
I have and I can volunteer at least three possibilities (which are not mutually excluding):
1) Find your unique message: What do you want to say to the world through your art? (in that scene, in this movie, with your character, etc)
2) Know "thyself", own up to it and speak up!
3) This is the most literal of the three, and yet not the least important: train your voice (as in "the sound produced in a person's larynx and uttered through the mouth, as speech or song". Explore it, challenge it, strengthen it, stretch it, play with it and sing your heart out until you find it.

I've always loved to sing but, although curious, I had been postponing vocal lessons all my life. Until one day, about two years ago, I said (or sang) to myself: "You live in LA-LA-LAND, for Grammys' Sakes!! What are you waiting for?!?!?!"

So I did some online research and found the SPEECH LEVEL SINGING technique particularly interesting.

http://speechlevelsinging.com/

"Speech Level Singing (SLS) makes singing as natural and easy as speaking. Used by more than 120 Grammy winners and developed by Seth Riggs, legendary vocal coach to the stars, SLS produces an effortless, powerful and expressive voice."

Their web-site offers an interactive database through which you can find a certified SLC instructor close to you:
http://speechlevelsinging.com/db/clist/search.cfm

And that's how I found mine: Kelly Kernohan, in West L.A.
I have to say about her, not only is she the sweetest and most amazing teacher, but her passion and enthusiasm as well as her commitment to this technique are truly inspiring.



Check out her website @
http://www.kellykernohanvocalstudio.com/

Give her a call. Give it a try. You will never find your true voice unless you look for it.

No comments: